Friday 14 January 2011

The Green Hornet

***WARNING***
THE FOLLOWING REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS AND THEREFORE MAYBE UNSUITABLE FOR SOME FUCKS. IT IS ALSO PRESENTED IN REAL-D 3D IN ORDER TO DISTRACT YOU FROM THE MANY MISTAKES CONTAINED WITHIN, AS SEEMS TO BE THE TREND THESE DAYS. 
***YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED***

Right Seth Rogan I have a bone to pick with you. Why is it that I keep spending my money on you and telling all my friends that your a decent bloke when all you seen to be doing in return is supplying me with evidence that proves me wrong and makes me out to be the biggest liar since that block came back in from a night out in Hiroshima on August 6th, 1945 and described the social scene as 'energetic'. Sure you got off to a good start but what exactly went wrong during the press tour for Knocked Up? I only ask because since then you seem to be lost, wandering the world of acting and writing in the same manner a fat man wanders around a salad cart, you just look so...out of your depth, which brings me to 'Green Hornet'.

Green Hornet is by no means a terrible film, its is however bad and fundamentally broken. The premiss itself doesn't really make much sense, a rich guy and a martial arts mechanic join forces to fight crime while simultaneously breaking the law in order make them stand out. Is it just me or does that idea take quite the superhuman leap in terms of believability? Scott Pilgrim was easier to get on board with and that contained a character who could kill you with his eyes because he was vegan. I do however feel that I can't blame the film for this, in my opinion the idea is not good enough to become an on screen feature. Now I haven't seen the original films, read the comics or heard the radio shows but I feel the issues I have with believability would be apparent in all of 'Green Hornets' forms

Another issue this film has (and it pains me to say this) is its director. Now I love Michel Gondry, he's produced some of recent memories most memorable and unique cinematic visuals but when it comes to Green Hornet he simply doesn't fit. With such a larger than life story and bigger than bold characters there isn't room for heaps of visual flair and alternative creativity. Its all very nice Michel but what it does is further remove you from an already hard to get into idea portrayed by actors who seem to have been miscast. This kind of film should have been handed to someone no imagination, Scorsese for example, finally we have a film that I feel would be improved by his presence.

Now I'm sure I wont be the only one, but i simply can't buy Rogan as a hero. Agreed in this he is more of an annoying bumbling idiot than a hero, but on the odd occasion where I was asked to believe he is beating up bad guys I just couldn't do it. Even with a lot less weight Rogan seems too oafish to be a hero. To translate how I feel about this try to imagine Mr Bean as James Bond...or go watch Johnny English.  

Jay Chou is fine as Kato but is really not the greatest actor, not that thats really required in this film seeing as most of the cast equal the talent one would find at any given X-Factor audition. As a pair Rogan and Chou completely lack chemistry, which i feel is the combined fault of Gondry, Rogan and Chou. 

I was however impressed with Edward James Olmos who criminally had a tiny part that consisted of about ten lines of dialogue.

Its becoming increasingly apparent the more I dribble on that I am not a big pan of 'The Green Hornet'. Its impossible to get sucked into, the stunning visuals aren't on par with the writing and the acting is for the most part is atrocious. The costumes, while staying true to the original concepts make all the good guys look like villains from the 1960's batman TV show which everyone saw as a joke in the 60's, let alone now. I guess thats pretty much how I view the film as a whole really, a bad, camp, cartoony and brain-dead superhero movie. What a fantastic way to introduce 2011 in film. But hey, at least its not Avatarded.

The Green Hornet gets...
                                                                                                                                                     1 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment